Wednesday, November 21, 2012

He Makes All Things New

 In a country where the average annual income is less than $1,000, nothing gets wasted.  Where we so often toss something if it breaks, a broken item usually has many more lives left in it with some creative tinkering.  For $2 a pair of shoes can have new soles.  Stove knobs broken?  No worries, a metal welder can make a new set for $1 each.  Items are quickly, easily and inexpensively glued, stapled and taped back together squeezing yet another six months to a year of life out of them. And if that doesn't work, just take two or three broken items and tie them together. 


Broken things; stack them, staple them. glue them, tie them together. Oh, for one last chance to make it work.  Is this what we do with the broken pieces of our lives?  In our own strength we gather them together and try to fix them in a way that makes sense to us but is just really a band-aide on a gaping wound.

Jesus says, bring me your broken pieces and watch what I can do with them.  I can heal, I can restore, I can renew, I can take crushed glass and make gemstones out of them, I can take what the world rejects and form world changers out of them, I can do things way beyond your imagination.  But first, you need to stop trying to fix it yourself. Put down the staple gun, recap the super glue and turn to me.  Entrust your brokenness to me and allow me, the master potter, to mold and reshape and make it into something new.

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, 
because the Lord has anointed me 
to preach good news to the poor. 

He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives and 
release from darkness for the prisoners..." 
Isaiah 61:1
  He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” 
Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
Rev 21:5 
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
 the old has gone, the new has come!"
2 Corinthians 5:17 
 

1 comment:

  1. Perfect, Joanna. The truth in this post is both whispering to my soul and shouting from a rooftop. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete